21 Squadron was founded on 8
May 1941 at Nakuru, Kenya. The Unit was first equipped with Maryland medium bombers and
included members of 11, 15 and 16 Squadrons. Later in the war the unit was equipped with
Baltimore and Marauder bombers.
During the period 1941 to 1945 the Squadron
undertook operational flights in North Africa and Italy and was awarded 12 Battle Honours
during this time.
The unit was disbanded in 1945.
January of 1968 saw the Squadron reformed and
stationed at AFB Swartkop as a VIP air transport Squadron. Equipped with a Viscount
(Kasteel) and 3 VIP Dakotas (Rustig, Elandsberg and Fleur), which were subsequently
replaced by Mercurius and Merlin IV aircraft, the unit operated at AFB Swartkop until it
moved to AFB Waterkloof in 1981.
n 1987 the squadron was moved from the
Western side of the base to the Eastern side from where it is still operating today.
During September 1982 the first falcon 50
aircraft was acquired and a Citation II leased by the SAAF and stationed at the Squadron.
This aircraft was later bought by the SAAF. Another Falcon 50 was acquired in December
1985, as well as a Falcon 900 in October 1991.
During 1994 a TBVC states owned Citation II
also became a member of the Squadrons fleet and, after 28 years, the HS125s
were finally withdrawn from service. The flagship of the Squadron, a Boeing BBJ, was
acquired in 2002 and added to the units fleet.
The Squadrons gold and green badge
dates back to the units bomber operations during the war, having a bomb, Springbok
head and roman numerals for 21 embraced by a set of silver wings. The Squadron motto: "ONOORWINLIK"
SA Coat Of Arms on Falcon 900