68 Air School has an interesting and
colourful history that originated in 1936 when the first students of the Special Service
Battalion were transferred to the South African Air Force. Let us obtain a glimpse of the
historical events, which led to the foundation 68 Air School as it is today:
20 November 1940 The name
"School for Technical Training" was changed to "68 Air School".
1942 The first premises at
Voortrekkerhoogte became too small and on 6 October 1942 the buildings at the present site
1946 68 Air School commenced
with the training of Permanent Force apprentices.
1952 The Air Force Gymnasium
was founded and accommodated at 68 Air School.
1959 The Air Force Gymnasium
moved to its present site at Valhalla. 64 Air School moved from Waterkloof to 68 Air
School and the Radio/Radar and Telecom sections became part of the Unit.
1 October 1962 The name 68 Air
School was again changed to School for Technical Training. The emblem of the Unit was
changed by the addition of an eagle at the top.
1964 A meteorological section
was established for the training of National Servicemen, but was disbanded in 1984.
31 October 1986 The 50th
Anniversary of the Unit was celebrated in a glorious manner and a book, containing the
History of the Unit, was handed to the Chief of the Air Force, Lt Gen D.J. Earp.
4 November 1986 The name
"School for Technical Training" changed to "School for Logistics
Training" due to the inclusion of the Provision Training School. Training at SLT
therefore entailed the entire logistical spectrum
5 January 1987 The Unit
obtained a new emblem to portray the Technical- and Provision Training. It consisted of a
compass-card symbolising the purposeful direction in which the Unit is heading, and the
motto, "SERVIMUS SCIENTIA" which means "Service through the
coveyance of knowledge".
1989 to April 1999 Change in
the appearance of the Unit took place almost on a daily basis. The gardens were improved
and in 1990 a new Officers Mess was established. New buildings were erected and old
ones renovated. A new facade gradually replaced the previous rund-down appearance of the
01 April 1999 The name of the
School changed from "School for Logistic Training" to "68 Air School".
01 July 2001 68 Air School was
awarded Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) Approval. With pride 68 Air School is presenting
training at this nationally approved standard.
2001 Successful Maintenance &
Reaccredidation of CAA Approval.
2002 - Successful Maintenance & Reaccredidation of
The most modern and technology advanced
methods in training are currently used to prepare students for their prospective duties
and to ensure a competent working force in the SAAF.
68 Air School is indeed a Unit to be proud of. You are now
part of a winning team that aspires to fully develop its most precious resource- the human